Samples of my work - please contact me for more examples
- There are now 54 items in our list of Library FAQs. I started with the ones I could think of and have added many new ones based on user and staff feedback.
- I wrote a simplified Millennium manual for our staff; this link is to an older version which was shared with other libraries in Pennsylvania. The current version is on our staff intranet in wiki form.
My lecture presentations and handouts for several HTML/CSS classes and a blogging class at the Montrose Area Adult School were originally posted on Scribd for the convenience of the students, but they have drawn thousands of views since.
Promotional (writing and desktop publishing/graphics)
- This SCHS&FLA informational brochure is being distributed around the county and mailed to new card-holders. (2011)
- I designed the Blueberry Festival brochure which is distributed around the state to publicize our major annual fundraiser. (2011 version)
- I re-launched the defunct print newsletter for the Association in 1992 and wrote it quarterly until 2009, when we switched to an email version. Samples of both versions are archived on the library website.
- My brochures for our one book/one county program include a listing of all the events and suggestions for further reading/watching and are distributed around the county. Here is the most recent one, for The Red Badge of Courage.
- I create the card for the Association's annual support drive, which is mailed to all card-holders and past donors. The 2007 and 2009 cards show some of the concepts I've developed.
I was encouraged to submit one of my University of Arizona papers for publication. “Copyright, Competition, and Reselling of Government Information: Impact on Dissemination” appeared in the Katharine Sharp Review (7, Summer 1998) and has been cited a number of times:
- Burdon, Mark. 2009. Commercializing public sector information privacy and security concerns. IEEE Technology and Society Magazine 28, no. 1.
- Burkert, Herbert. 2004. The mechanics of public sector information. In Public sector information in the digital age: Between markets, public management and citizens’ rights, ed. Georg Aichholzer and Herbert Burkert. Edward Elgar.
- Khong, Dennis. 1999. Selected issues relating to the protection of databases under copyright law in Malaysia. Dissertation, University of Malaysia.
- Leith, Philip, and Karen McCullagh. 2004. Developing European legal information markets based on government information. International Journal of Law and Information Technology 13, no. 3.
- McMullen, Susan. 2000. U.S. government information: Selected current issues in public access vs. private competition. Journal of Government Information 27, no. 5.
- Pas, Johan, and Bruno De Vuyst. 2004. Re-establishing the balance between the public and the private sector: Regulating public sector information commercialization in Europe. Journal of Information, Law and Technology 2.
- Pas, Johan, and Bruno De Vuyst. 2004. The use and re-use of government information from an EU perspective. Proceedings of the 37th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences 7.
- Pas, Johan, and Lic. Rechten. 2002. The commercialization of government information and the proposal for a directive COM(2002) 207 by the European Commission. Institute for European Studies of the Brussels Free University 9, no. 4.
- Reinsma, M., and H. van der Sluijs. 2002. Naar ruimere openbaarheid en een vrij gebruik van bestuurlijke informatie. For the Ministry of the Interior of the Netherlands.
- Waß, Clemens Matthias. 2000. Freie Werke (§ 7 UrhG) im Internet. Dissertation, University of Salzburg.