Samples of my work - please contact me for more examples
HTML, XHTML, CSS
Programs and Scripting
- I wrote these Perl data-scraping and formatting scripts to collect natural gas drilling violations from the user-unfriendly Pennsylvania government site, using WWW::Mechanize.
- The Susquehanna County Community Information Network began with this PHP/MySQL database of businesses, designed to be updated by users without requiring a login. An administrator interface allows a moderator to approve or reject changes.
- I have been working on the cataloging section for Evergreen ILS documentation, using the DocBook schema in XML.
- The Perl scripts for NEPAgasaction (see above) output KML data. KML is an XML notation for use in Google Maps. Entering the URL of a raw file in Google Maps displays the map, or it can be embedded—see this example.
- Here is an XSLT-styled version of the cataloging chapter, which uses the browser's built-in XSL support to apply this transform/stylesheet. I wrote the stylesheet to emphasize the notes and highlight interface features; compare to the official version, which is a minimally-adapted version of the standard DocBook stylesheets.
Content Management Systems
- The primary Susquehanna County Library site, approaching 2,000 discrete elements, was a from-scratch Mambo install upgraded to Joomla, with numerous plugins, interactive forms, and a custom theme that was initially designed to minimize confusion for our users. It is now outdated, and I am in the process of porting it to Drupal, using a theme and interface developed through the Office of Commonwealth Libraries. A stub site is publicly visible.
- I created a site for the Montrose Area Adult School using a current version of Joomla.
- I transferred my personal blogs from Blogger to Wordpress when Blogger ceased supporting self-hosting/FTP access. (Customizing the themes hasn't been a priority...) I'm using Virtual Multiblog to host three blogs with one codebase.